Job Description: Dental Assistant
Job Title: Dental Assistant
Dental assistants perform a variety of patient care, office, and laboratory duties. Dental assistants prepare patients for oral examination and assist other dental professionals in providing treatment to the teeth, mouth, and gums. Dental assistants must work effectively with co-workers, customers, and others by sharing ideas in a constructive and positive manner; listening to and objectively considering ideas and suggestions from others; keeping commitments; keeping others informed of work progress, timetables and issues; addressing problems and issues constructively to find mutually acceptable and practical business solutions, and add!essing others by name, actions, words and deeds. Must support the policies and goals of SDA , and thus participate in the growth and future of our office.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential. function satisfactorily with or without accommodation. The requirements listed below are representative, but not all inclusive, of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
1. Perform functions in accordance with the applicable state’s Dental Auxiliaries Table of Permitted Duties.
2. Actively participate in the Perfect Patient Experience’” by striving to keep your patients focused on optimal treatment while attending to their individual concerns and promoting the good qualities of your doctor.
3. Maintain a clean, sterile, and cheerful environment where your patients feel comfortable prepare patients for treatment, and assist the doctors -thereby enabling them to provide efficient, quality dental treatment.
4. Obtain dental history and/or records from patient (review patient health history and care slips). Ensure that the health history is updated for all returning patients.
5. Escort patients to/from the front desk and introduce them to the Benefits Coordinator.
6. Prepare tray setups for dental procedures and maintain adequate supply levels in each operatory, replenishing as needed.
7. Complete radiographs and intra-oral pictures of patients as appropriate.
8. Hand instruments and materials to dentists and keep patients’ mouths dry and clear by using suction or other devices.
9. Sterilize and disinfect instruments and equipment.
10. Instruct patients on postoperative and general oral health care.
11. Record patient charting and all doctor notes in the digital patient chart as directed by the doctor. Ensure the doctor has reviewed treatment record, consents, and health history.
12. Prepare materials for making impressions and restorations.
13. Clean each operatory in accordance with the American Dental Association guidelines.
14. Maintain an appropriate professional appearance and demeanor in accordance with company policy.
15. Maintain strict compliance with State, Federal, and other regulations, (e.g., OSHA, WC, Dental Board, HIPAA, ADA, DOL, HR policies and practices).
16. Other duties as assigned by management.
QUALIFICATION GUIDELINES EXPERIENCE/TRAINING/EDUCATION:
REQUIRED: Equivalent to high school diploma or general education degree (GED), and specified training courses as mandated by state for certification, licensure, or registration.
DESIRABLE: Associate degree or one-year certificate from an accredited college or technical school; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• As mandated by applicable state (e.g, coronal polish, radiograph exposure, ultrasonic scaling for orthodontic procedures, pit and fissure sealant application, etc).
- Ability to respond to common inquiries from customers, staff, vendors, or other members of the business community.
- Ability to draw valid conclusions, apply sound judgment in making decisions, and to make decisions under pressure.
- Ability to interact with other Clinicians and Owner Doctors effectively.
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents such as business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedure manuals, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to communicate effectively and present information, both verbally and in writing, to patients and co-worker.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished In written, verbal, or diagram form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, decimals and percentages. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentages.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, and smell. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch, The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- There is occasional exposure to irate staff, vendors or patients, but there is negligible anticipation of exposure to violence.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, keyboard to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, bend, or crouch.
- Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard, calculator, and other standard office equipment, as well as dental instruments and equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed tofumes, airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply online.