A lot of people make grand resolutions and lofty goals for the New Year, but there are so many other simpler goals that are a lot easier to stick with! Focusing on your oral hygiene will guarantee a healthier you overall, and it’s much simpler than undertaking a massive gym-going goal. A healthier smile is connected to better overall health. Here are a few resolutions you should consider for 2017, and why they’re beneficial:
- Seeing your dentist at least once per year. Your dentist will help work out the best plan for your check-ins, but once a year is the minimum (and the norm!). Simply going to your check-ups for cleanings, refresher courses on how to brush and floss, and making sure professionals are spotting any red flags early is an absolute must. The earlier problems like gum disease are caught, the easier and more affordable they are to correct. Prevention is key.
- Brush for two minutes at least twice per day. Two minutes can feel a lot longer than it is. Using an egg timer or even your phone to make sure you’re getting in those two minutes twice per day is very important. You can also adopt the southeast Asian practice of brushing in the morning, before bed, and after every meal.
- Brush correctly. Yes, there are right and wrong ways to brush! You need a toothbrush that’s the right bristle for you, can get to your back teeth, and brushing front and back of each tooth at a 45-degree angle is correct. Ask your dentist or hygienist to show you the best brushing technique.
- Floss at least once per day. Flossing before you brush releases plaque and food bits to get the cleanest teeth possible. It’s very common to see that yellow plaque buildup close to the gum lines, but it’s not healthy.
- Add an alcohol-free fluoride rinse to your regimen. ACT! is a great brand and helps give you a fluoride boost and great breath.
What are your 2017 resolutions?